Monday, September 27, 2010

Backup Basics, David Anders, The Computer Guy

Madmimi_backupbasics_header

Windows - Backup Basics - Windows

What should I backup? A: Your Windows Boot Drive
1] Your C: Hard Drive as a bootable backup (this is called a Bootable Drive Disk Image).
Why should I backup my bootable Hard Drive?
  • If your computer refuses to start Windows, a bootable backup allows you to recover to the last saved bootable backup.
Why can’t I just use System Restore to revert to last known good System Backup?
  • This sometimes Does Not Work. Especially, if the problem is a failing Hard Drive, that needs replacing.
Why can’t I just use the System Restore CDs or special partition recovery that came with the computer?
  • This will revert the computer as it was out of the box. Your added software will need to be re-installed. Your files and information will be lost, if they are NOT backed up.
What should I backup? A: Your Documents and Settings folder
2] Your user’s Documents and Settings is on your Boot Drive C:.
Why should I backup my Documents and Settings? If I make a bootable backup in Step 1], they will be backed up.
Step 1] is done once, or every 6 months, or after installing new software. It will not be current.
What should I backup? A: Your other saved files
3] Your files that are NOT stored in Documents and Settings on your Boot Drive C:.
Why wouldn’t my files be in my Documents and Settings?
  • If you save your files to someplace other than your Desktop, your My Documents, your My Music, your My Pictures, or directly into your Docucments and Settings folder - they are NOT in Docucments and Settings.
  • Your files could be loose on Drive C: or on another partition or another drive (either internal or external)
Where should I backup?
1] An external hard drive is most common. Another internal hard drive for desktop computers is also common. You can find Today's best deals at DealNews - DealMac - NewEgg
Depending on the SIZE of your file collection, an external or additional internal drive is inexpensive - $65 to $100.
What size is my file collection?
Right click on your Documents and Settings folder and choose Properties in the menu.
Where is my Documents and Settings folder?
Boot Drive C: > Documents and Settings > [your username] folder (Mine is 2.25Gb today.)
2] A USB flash (thumb) drive may be large enough. May2010 the largest sizes are 32Gb, 64Gb, and 128Gb..
3] A CD (700Mb) or DVD (4.3Gb) or DVD-DL (8.5Gb) may be large enough for your files.
4] Another computer at your location can be used.
5] A network storage device at your location can work about NAS
6] A neighbor’s or friend’s computer can be used. (If both has a fast internet connection)
CrashPlan
7] An internet file storage service. Mozy or Carbonite or SkyDrive with Windows Live Account.
What Windows Backup Software should I use?
1] For your boot drive backup to disk image I recommend. Macrium Reflect (FREE)
2] For your documents and files, I recommend GFI Backup (FREE)
3] For your documents and files, another choice is Cobian Backup 9 (free) (FREE)
Howto Backup with Cobian
This is a Simple Guide for Average Users
This is a simple guide, just designed to GET you to backup.
I do Data Recovery and sometimes the outcome is sad.
I test backup utilities before I recommend them.
Reliable, simple, and inexpensive are part of my requirements.
The software linked in this article will have reviews and recommendations by users.
For Further info, just email me davidanders@gmail.com

Mac OS X - Backup Basics - Backup Easy - Mac OS X

What should I backup? A: Your OS X Startup Drive
1] Your Startup Drive in a bootable backup (this is called a Bootable Drive Disk Image).
Why should I backup my bootable Hard Drive?
  • If your computer refuses to boot, a bootable backup allows you to recover to the last saved bootable backup.
Why can’t I just reinstall OS X using the Archive and Install option?
  • Sometimes this Does Not Work. Especially, if the problem is a failing Hard Drive, that needs replacing.
Why can’t I just use the System Restore CDs that came with the computer?
  • This will revert the computer as it was out of the box. Your added software will need to be re-installed. Your files and information can be lost, if they are NOT backed up.
What should I backup? A: Your User’s folder
2] Your User’s folder on your Startup Drive.
Why should I backup my User’s folder? If I make a bootable backup in Step 1], they will be backed up. Step 1] is done once, or every 6 months, or after installing new software. It will not be current.
What should I backup? A: Your other saved files
3] Your files that are NOT stored in your User’s folder on your Startup Drive.
Why wouldn’t my files be in my User’s Folder?
  • If you save your files to someplace other than your Desktop, your Documents, your Music, your Pictures, or directly into your Startup Drive - they are NOT in your User’s folder.
  • Your files could be loose on another partition or another drive (either internal or external)
Where is my User’s folder? Startup Drive > Users Folder > [your username] folder
What size is my file collection? Highlight your User’s folder and choose Get Info in the FILE menu.
What Mac OSX Backup Software should I use?
1] For your Startup drive backup to disk image I recommend. SuperDuper! (Free or $27 for extra features)
2] For your documents and files, I recommend SilverKeeper (FREE) or ChronoSync ($40)
View this document in a web browser for printing Here
Start Backing Up Today!! Please.
If you found this useful, you can forward it to five friends at the very bottom of this email.
You can Unsubscribe from any further Helpful Emails I send at the bottom of this email.
Thank you.
David
For Further info, just email me davidanders@gmail.com
blogger email facebook linkedin plurk posterous wordpress

No comments:

Followers

Contributors